Coral Gables Woman's Club fountain. Coral Gables, Florida
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Constructed in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration, the building was designed by H. George Fink and William Merriam. President Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) created the Works Progress Administration (often referred to as WPA) during the Great Depression of 1929-1941 to create jobs and stimulate the economy. The clubhouse was built of oolitic limestone donated by the City on an entire block of land also donated by the City. Artisans working for the WPA created relief carvings featuring fish, birds and animals. They also painted the interior murals in one of the two grand halls. The Coral Gables Library, founded by the club, moved with its members to the new building. Originally, members met in the Cathedral Room of the Douglas Entrance in space provided by George Merrick, developer of Coral Gables. The Coral Gables Woman’s Club was established in 1923, and is part of the Florida Federation of Woman's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs. It is located at 1001 East Ponce de Leon Boulevard.
Caption on verso: "Coral Gables Woman's Club, 1001 East Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Coral Gables, Florida (Dade County), Ellen Ugoccioni, 1988, Historic Pres. Div., City of Coral Gables, Fountain
(Ownership) Coral Gables Historical Resources Department
- Chicago citation style
- Coral Gables Woman's Club fountain. Coral Gables, Florida. 1988. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12112906/00001. (Accessed March 26, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1988) Coral Gables Woman's Club fountain. Coral Gables, Florida. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12112906/00001
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12112906/00001>.