• Created Date
  • 1932
  • Description
  • Chitina is a village on the west bank of Copper River, 3 miles north of Taral and 66 miles east-northeast of Valdez. It was a railroad and mining supply town established about 1908 on the northern terminus of the Copper River and Northwestern Railroad. [Source: Donald Orth. Dictionary of Alaska Place Names: Geological Survey Professional Paper 567. Washington: United States Government Printing Office, 1967.] Construction on the Copper River an... more
    Chitina is a village on the west bank of Copper River, 3 miles north of Taral and 66 miles east-northeast of Valdez. It was a railroad and mining supply town established about 1908 on the northern terminus of the Copper River and Northwestern Railroad. [Source: Donald Orth. Dictionary of Alaska Place Names: Geological Survey Professional Paper 567. Washington: United States Government Printing Office, 1967.] Construction on the Copper River and Northwestern Railway began in the spring of 1908 at Cordova and stretched 196 miles to the Kennecott mines. less
  • Format
  • Postcard
    image
    3.5 x 5.5 in.
    Scanned from an original photographic postcard using a Microtek ArtixScan 1800f at 110 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2005