• Description
  • Deacon Simon Stone's homestead with Sweet Mt. Auburn in the background. The farm was in East Watertown. A description of the was given by his granddaughter: The house was situated in the present Cambridge Cemetery, about a hundred feet south of the great bend in the present Coolidge Avenue, and about three hundred feet from the river... This structure faced the south toward the Charles River and was built of oak frame and shingled with oark sh... more
    Deacon Simon Stone's homestead with Sweet Mt. Auburn in the background. The farm was in East Watertown. A description of the was given by his granddaughter: The house was situated in the present Cambridge Cemetery, about a hundred feet south of the great bend in the present Coolidge Avenue, and about three hundred feet from the river... This structure faced the south toward the Charles River and was built of oak frame and shingled with oark shingles... The kitchen has a very large fireplace, with crane, hooks and andirons and a brick oven large enough for a score of pies at a time ... A cellar extended under the whole house, divided into seven sections for storage of fruits, vegetables, grains, stc. To the north-east of the house was an orchard in which were two immense trees, planted by Deacon Simon Stone, one which survived and bore fruit over two hundred and fifty years. Seven generations farmed this land. The building was destroyed by fire 1877 according to J. Gardner Barlett in his book about Simon Stone. Originally know as "Stone's Woods" the land was sold to Massachusetts Horticultural Society because of its orchards and gardens. The farm now comprises the majority of land used as Mt. Auburn Cemetery. This painting hangs in the Watertown Free Public Library. less
  • Format
  • Paintings