An equation for vortex motion including effects of buoyancy and sources with applications to tornadoes
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Prepared at Langley Research Center.
Major NASA subject terms: Equation for vortex motion, hydromagnetic vortex, buoyant vortex, source - vortex, tornado, cyclone.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 60-61).
A new equation is derived for the motion of vorticity in a general fluid, including the effects of viscosity, compressibility, nonhomogeneity, and nonconservative forces. The equation holds, in particular, for vortices which may not move with the fluid. A linearized form of this equation is applied to tornado cyclones and to the twin tornado of April 11, 1965, near Elkhart, Indiana. It is shown that the displacement of tornado cyclones to the right of the mean tropospheric winds may be accounted for by the upward efflux of fluid from the cyclone into the jet stream. Also, the retarded revolution rate of the twin tornado may be due in part to an attractive "buoyancy" force acting on the partially rarefied cores of the pair.
- Costen, Robert C
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration : [For sale by the Office of Technical Services, Dept. of Commerce]
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Costen, Robert C. An equation for vortex motion including effects of buoyancy and sources with applications to tornadoes. . Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444338. (Accessed June 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Costen, Robert C, () An equation for vortex motion including effects of buoyancy and sources with applications to tornadoes. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444338
- MLA citation style
- Costen, Robert C. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444338>.