• Creator
  • Talcott, George N.Billings, Charles A.
  • Created Date
  • 1914
  • Description
  • Talcott and Billings provide the history behind the naming of the Camp of the Clouds during a climb they undertook in August 1886 with Charles E. Kehoe. According to them, "After returning to camp at sundown the clouds enveloped that portion of the mountain until the morning of the second day at about 9 o'clock they then parted showing Mount Rainier also the snow caps to the Southwest it was clear and bright between walls of clouds some two or... more
    Talcott and Billings provide the history behind the naming of the Camp of the Clouds during a climb they undertook in August 1886 with Charles E. Kehoe. According to them, "After returning to camp at sundown the clouds enveloped that portion of the mountain until the morning of the second day at about 9 o'clock they then parted showing Mount Rainier also the snow caps to the Southwest it was clear and bright between walls of clouds some two or three hundred feet high, remained so for about ten minutes then closed as before until about the same time the following morning, during all this time we could only see about fifty feet away from our camp these conditions suggested the name of the camp. Our food supply had given out, so we then left for Longmires springs where we had our supplies.". less
  • Format
  • text
    Reminiscence
    Scanned from original text or image at 200 dpi saved in TIFF format, resized and enhanced using Adobe Photoshop, and imported as JPEG2000 using Contentdm software's JPEG2000 Extension. 2012