Arlington St. Church
View Full Image
Top caption on item verso: This is an original photograph, made in 1862, from the wet-plate negative. It was part of a collection of old photographs of Boston scenes which was donated to the Boston City Club when its new building was erected in 1912 on Ashburton Place. The photographs hung on the walls of the club rooms until the club sold the buiding to the United Fund in 1946 and moved to smaller quarters. Bottom caption on item verso: Arlington Street Church, corner of Arlington and Boylston Streets, opposite the Public Garden. This structure currently houses the Unitarian parish which was in a church at the corner of Federal and Franklin Sts. and which the famous preacher William Ellery Channing served as its minister. The building in this photo was erected shortly after the Back Bay was created. Note the vacant land in back of the church. Photograph possibly by A. H. Richards Boston Public Library purchase,Temple Bar Bookstore, March 18, 1977
|Boston Public Library|
Arlington Street Church (Boston, Mass.)
Rights status not evaluated. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).