Libby, McNeill and Libby as Seen from the Eastern Side of Stockton Boulevard
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This 1935 photograph shows an ivy-covered Libby, McNeill and Libby cannery, bordering Stockton Boulevard. On the left side of the photograph is the cannery’s first floor receiving area while just above is the can storage room. In September 1912, the Chicago-based company purchased 8.93 acres of land between Thirty-First Street and Stockton Boulevard with the intent of building a fruit and vegetable canning factory. The triangle was ideal for the company as it could access Southern Pacific and Sacramento Northern railroads. When finished, the cannery, with its main building, receiving room, preserving plant, cooking and cooling plant, and warehouses, was considered to be the largest of its kind in the entire world. The 1,000,000 dollar facility opened in July 1913 with a workforce of 600. By September 1914, the plant was operating at full capacity, turning out nearly 106,000 cans a day.
- Chicago citation style
- Libby, McNeill and Libby as Seen from the Eastern Side of Stockton Boulevard. 1935. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15248.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15248coll1/id/1146. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1935) Libby, McNeill and Libby as Seen from the Eastern Side of Stockton Boulevard. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15248.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15248coll1/id/1146
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15248.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15248coll1/id/1146>.