First City Commission meeting at the new City Hall. Coral Gables, Florida
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The Coral Gables City Hall was designed by Harold Steward and Phineas Paist, prominent architects of the era. Artistic Director Denman Fink assisted with the design of interior murals. The building was inaugurated in 1928 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The façade boasts a semi-circle of two-story decorative columns and is often compared to the Merchants’ Exchange Building in Philadelphia, designed by noted architect William Strickland. The Greek Revival architectural style of the Philadelphia Exchange most likely influenced Paist, as he lived in Philadelphia prior to moving to Miami. Located at 405 Biltmore Way, the town hall looks across Le Jeune Road and down Coral Way, more commonly known as Miracle Mile. This historic district includes Merrick Park, Le Jeune Plaza and a portion of Biltmore Way and Coral Way.
Caption on verso: "1st Comission meeting new city hall, 405 Biltmore Way
Property of City of Coral Gables, Florida, Catalog No., Category, Origin Donated by Bob Campbell
The chair in which Mayor Dammers is seated is now outside the Mayor's Office. The podium and table are in the City Manager's Office. Some of the other chairs are in the commission chamber. First City Commission Meeting - New City Hall 2/29/28, Reading Left to Right: 1. Edward E. Dammers, Mayor 5/1/25 - 4/30/28
2. F. Wingfield Webster, Commissioner 5/21/25 - 4/30/28
3. Paul McGarry, City Attorney 7/20/27 - 5/15/28
4. Don Peabody, Commissioner 11/10/26 - 4/30/28
5. George E. Merrick, Commissioner 5/1/25 - 6/5/28
6. Phineas Paist, guest
7. Denman Fink, guest
8. E.T. Purcell, Commissioner 12/3/26 - 4/30/28
9. Edwin G. Bishop (leaning back) City Clerk 5/2125 - 7/30/28
10. Robert M. Davidson, City Manager 5/1/25 - 10/14/29
Guest were present to accept Resolution No. 525, commending them for their artistic rendering, careful planning and painstaking supervision of the construction of the City Hall.
(Ownership) Coral Gables Historical Resources Department
- Chicago citation style
- First City Commission meeting at the new City Hall. Coral Gables, Florida. 1928-02-29. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12092014/00001. (Accessed November 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1928-02-29) First City Commission meeting at the new City Hall. Coral Gables, Florida. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12092014/00001
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12092014/00001>.