Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1850 November
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Sermon notes by Edward Hitchcock on “the state of religion in Europe” according to his observations in the summer of 1850. He briefly discusses the state of various religious sects, churches, cathedrals, and relics in various places, including Scotland, England, Wales, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, France, and Switzerland. One early religious observation ranks the Free Church of Scotland as the most spiritual of religious groups, and Hitchcock concludes with remarks supporting the ideals of missionary work and suggests more of such work is needed in Europe, particularly in Paris. Hitchcock has written that the notes are for the College Monthly Concert in November 1850, and has written related hymns on the inside cover.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Sermons--Outlines, syllabi, etc
Description and travel
Religious life and customs
- SermonsOutlines (documents)NotesManuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1850 November. 1850-11. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:514663. (Accessed December 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1850-11) Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1850 November. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:514663
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:514663>.