Big Pine, abandoned farmhouse
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- circa 1930-1939
View of a small house surrounded by trees. Inscription by J. D. Black on the back of photograph: "City owned."
House was purchased and abandoned by the City of Los Angeles. To meet the need for water of its growing population, the City of Los Angeles began acquiring water rights in the Owens Valley in 1905. The Los Angeles Aqueduct was completed in 1913 to bring Owens Valley water to the city. During the 1920s, the City of Los Angeles began additional large-scale purchases of land in the Owens Valley to increase its supply of water from the valley, resulting in the city's almost complete control of the valley's agricultural land. This led to a decline in the valley's agricultural infrastructure and economy. A resident of Big Pine and leader of resistance against Los Angeles, J. D. Black (1893-1960) used such photographs as these to document the deterioration of the Owens Valley.
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
- Abandoned houses--California--Big Pine
Abandoned buildings--California--Big Pine
Water rights--California--Owens Valley
Water rights--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Aqueduct
- Big Pine (Calif.)
- Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
- Chicago citation style
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960. Big Pine, abandoned farmhouse. circa 1930-1939. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/johndblack/id/1469. (Accessed December 12, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960, (circa 1930-1939) Big Pine, abandoned farmhouse. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/johndblack/id/1469
- MLA citation style
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/johndblack/id/1469>.