• Creator
  • McCabe, Britton C
  • Created Date
  • 1965-12-20
  • Publisher
  • Springfield College
  • Description
  • A report written by Britton C. McCabe on December 20, 1965 about the use of the Watershops Pond as an outdoor classroom for Springfield College students. The report has details of the staff members that are trained in the field of outdoor biology or researching the field, and would be able to guide the outdoor classroom learning. It also explains how the outdoor classroom can strengthen the biology department in general for the students and st... more
    A report written by Britton C. McCabe on December 20, 1965 about the use of the Watershops Pond as an outdoor classroom for Springfield College students. The report has details of the staff members that are trained in the field of outdoor biology or researching the field, and would be able to guide the outdoor classroom learning. It also explains how the outdoor classroom can strengthen the biology department in general for the students and staff. In 1809, Lake Massasoit was formed by the army by damming the Mill River. The purpose of the dam was to ensure a constant flow of water downstream for the Springfield Armory “Watershops.” The Springfield Armory was America’s first and last National Armory, formed in 1777 and continuing production up until 1968. The formerly named Watershops Pond has 7 miles of shoreline and covers 186 acres. From 1892-1900, the buildings of Springfield College began to come about, and the name was changed to Lake Massasoit by Springfield College officials. The name came from a local hotel, the Massasoit House, owned by Marvin Chapin, a generous benefactor of the college. In 1920, the college purchased a large area of land on the upper end of the pond, and called it the “Freshman Camp.” Since the college was formed, students, faculty and visitors have used the Pond for sailing, swimming, ice skating and fishing. However, the lake was officially closed for swimming in 1984 when the lake was said to be unhealthy. Dr. Britton C. McCabe (December 21, 1901—October 9, 1968) was born in Toronto, Canada. He earned his BS from Springfield College in 1927, his MS from New York University in 1931, and his Ph.D. from Cornell in 1942. McCabe joined the Springfield faculty as a professor of biology in 1930 and served as department chair from 1945 to 1963. One of his contributions to the department was developing curriculum for incorporating Massasoit Lake as an outdoor classroom. McCabe was a former trustee and deacon of Hope Congregational Church, a member of the American Fisheries Society, and a member of the Society of Ichthyology and Herpetology of North America. He posthumously received a Tarbell Medallion from Springfield College. less
  • Format
  • Documents
  • Rights
  • Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.