Former North Village hose house
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Constructed in 1888, this hose house was first called C. F. Tufts Fire Company. With the beginning of the cold war in the late 1940s, a Lancaster branch of the Ground Observer Corps of the U.S. Air Force was organized by Berger W. Parmenter and located in this building. The purpose was to maintain vigilance in preparing for a surprise attack from the skies. In 1956, a special observation deck was built on the roof, providing an unobstructed view of the post's area of coverage. Local citizens were encouraged to volunteer for duty. After World War II, the building was turned in a Victorian-style residence.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster revisited / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2005
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Former North Village hose house. 1888-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871d270. (Accessed December 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1888-2000) Former North Village hose house. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871d270
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871d270>.