View Full Image
From text: ""The Lakeside Club was organized in 1884, for the purpose of promoting social intercourse between its members and their families. Two houses were taken at the corner of Wabash Avenue and Thirtieth Street, and here the Club remained until 1888, when the new Club house on Indiana Avenue (between Thirty-first and Thirty-second Streets) was opened with a grand New Year ball. The present house is an imposing structure of brick and stone, containing three stories and a basement. In the basement are the billiard rooms, café, the bowling alley, private supper rooms, and a dining room capable of seating four hundred guests. On the first floor are situated the ladies' and gentlemen's parlors, the reception room, the dressing rooms, and a fine assembly room and dancing hall, fifty-five feet wide by one hundred feet long. In the second story are the card rooms and a splendid gymnasium complete in every detail. The third floor is devoted to private apartments and the servants rooms.
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|Douglas (Chicago, Ill.)|
Images in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at www.archive.org. For further information, contact email@example.com.