Belgian Canal Boat Fund
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- ca. 1914-1915
British poster depicting a Belgian mother comforting her children near a canal. While her young son looks towards the observer, the mother is embracing her daughter, looking away from the observer and towards the canal. Other significant features of the poster include a sunken boat, indicating the destruction caused by the invading German armies, and a large windmill. Text reads, "Belgian Canal Boat Fund: For Relief of the Civil Population behind the firing lines. Send them Something." Historical note: The Belgian Canal Boat Fund was founded in December 1914 by Agar Adamson and Kathryn Innis-Taylor, two Canadian women living in London during World War I. The fund was created to raise money for food, clothing, and medical aid for Belgian citizens and soldiers trapped behind the firing lines, and the founders hoped to deliver these supplies via the Belgian canal network. Ultimately, this plan proved impossible. Mabel Adamson commissioned John Hassall to create this poster hoping that its haunting image would attract civilian support for the fund.
Signed: Hassall. Date of publication from http://www.tpl.toronto.on.ca/pro_1999_doing_our_bit_highlights.jsp. Orientation: Vertical
- PA Digital
- Contributing Institution
- Temple University
- [Great Britain : publisher not identified
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Propaganda
World War, 1914-1918 -- Civilian relief -- Belgium
War posters -- Great Britain
Belgium -- Foreign public opinion, British
Beligian Canal Boat Fund
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Belgian Canal Boat Fund. ca. 1914-1915. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p16002coll9/id/2919. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (ca. 1914-1915) Belgian Canal Boat Fund. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p16002coll9/id/2919
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p16002coll9/id/2919>.