View Full Image
Caption: "Austin Library Building and Club House." From text: "The Oaks was organized in January, 1882, and incorporated September 3d, 1884, its object being to promote social intercourse between its members and their families. In its early days the club occupied rooms in the Giles Block until the building was destroyed by fire November 13th, 1885, at which time it suffered the loss of all furniture and records. When the block was rebuilt it occupied a suite of rooms therein until the new Austin Club and Library Building was completed, into which they have recently moved. The apartments occupied by the Club consist of reception hall, parlors, card and billiard rooms, banquet hall, etc., also a beautiful and completely appointed theatre, all of which are furnished with much taste and elegance.
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|Austin (Chicago, Ill.)|
Images in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at www.archive.org. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.