Woman with political campaign flag
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a portrait of a well-dressed young woman sitting in front of an American flag which bears the images of President William McKinley and Vice President Theodore Roosevelt. Handwriting on the negative appears to identify the woman as Miss Rachel Riddle. This photograph was taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed “Ewing Brothers” and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934. The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center.
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer)
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Ohio History Connection
- Albert J. Ewing Collection
- Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934)
Portrait photography--United States—History
Cultural Ohio--Art and Artists
McKinley, William, 1843- 1901
- PictureGlass Plate Negative
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer). Woman with political campaign flag. 1890s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16007coll19/id/62. (Accessed May 21, 2022.)
- APA citation style
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer), (1890s) Woman with political campaign flag. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16007coll19/id/62
- MLA citation style
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16007coll19/id/62>.