- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph including Yetsuko Sakai at age 11 and her sister, Toshiko Sakai at age 15 probably taken in Mifune-machi, Kumamoto, Japan. This photograph is found on page 9 of "Yetsuko Kiyomi photo album" (csudh_yet_0001).
black and white
Contains a family photo album compiled by Yetsuko Kiyomi, who is a Kibei Nisei born to Japanese immigrant parents, Misaburo and Sayo Sakai, and raised in the Japanese farming community in the town of Holland, Clarksburg, Yolo County, California. She returned to Kumamoto, Japan where she was educated and resided from pre-war through post-war, and sailed back to the U.S. and married to Genjiro Kiyomi in 1957. The included photographs depict her life in two countries, the U.S. and Japan. Additional materials in the collection include: a group photograph of her 6th grade Mifune Elementary School, her mother's side family trees, and her husband's biographical information.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- California State University, Dominguez Hills, Archives and Special Collections
- Japan--United States civilians
Identity and values--Nisei
Identity and values--Kibei
Identity and values--Children
Japan--Pre-World War II
- Kumamoto, Japan
- Permission to publish the image must be obtained from the CSUDH Archives as owner of the physical item and copyright. In instances when the copyright ownership is not clear it is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright permission.
- Chicago citation style
- Shiroyama. 1935-08-13. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/12922. (Accessed December 8, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1935-08-13) Shiroyama. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/12922
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/12922>.