Edward Hitchcock sermon no. 117, "Grades of Apostacy," 1822 August
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Edward Hitchcock's sermon on apostasy, based on Matthew 26:58 - "But Peter followed him afar off." Hitchcock enumerates the practices by which professing believers follow Christ from a distance until they abandon their faith completely. He shows that the "fatal root of all apostacies [sic] in religion" start with the Christian's neglect of his closet - earnest, fervent, secret prayer and self examination - and his abandonment of ejaculatory prayer - "short mental petitions during the day wherever he may be." Hitchcock noted the dates and places where he had delivered this sermon between 1822 and 1851.
The finding aid gives the title of this sermon incorrectly as "Grades of Apostasy." Throughout the sermon, Hitchcock frequently spells "apostasy" and its variations as "apostacy," etc.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock sermon no. 117, "Grades of Apostacy," 1822 August. 1822-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:89701. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1822-08) Edward Hitchcock sermon no. 117, "Grades of Apostacy," 1822 August. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:89701
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:89701>.