Stop Everything for Humanics Flyer
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph on this flyer titled “Stop Everything for Humanics” was taken on April 22, 1998 after the annual Humanics Lecture given by Distinguished Professor of Humanics, Joel B. Dearing. The flyer has the picture of the Springfield College community in the shape of the triangle in the middle of Blake Field. There is a small picture of everyone looking up and waving in the right hand corner. The date of the event is on the flyer, April 22, 1998. After the traditional lecture was finished, Dearing asked the audience to follow him to the track where they would commence to form a human triangle. His exact words were: “Let’s go make a triangle, I’ll meet you ‘on top.’” Dearing was a Professor of Physical Education as well as the Women’s Volleyball Coach at Springfield College. His lecture titled “Our Foundation is on Top” focused on topics such as unity, traditions, commitment, personal contact, character, perspective, spirit, and foundation. Dearing slightly altered the traditional format of the annual Humanics Lecture by inviting previous Professors of Humanics to come as guest speakers, as well as to allow students, faculty, staff, and administrators to voice their perspectives. The Distinguished Professor of Humanics position was first filled by Dr. Seth Arsenian from 1966-1969. The purpose of this position was to catalyze a renewal of consciousness in the philosophy each year, through the annually mandated Humanics Lecture.
- Dearing, Joel B
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Athletic Fields
Distinguished Professor of Humanics
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Dearing, Joel B. Stop Everything for Humanics Flyer. 1998-04-22. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7589. (Accessed July 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Dearing, Joel B, (1998-04-22) Stop Everything for Humanics Flyer. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7589
- MLA citation style
- Dearing, Joel B. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7589>.