Fort de Chartres, Illinois
View Full Image
The third Fort de Chartres, a limestone structure with four bastions, was built by the French in the Illinois Country in 1753, replacing two earlier wooden structures. The fort was never involved in any battles. It was turned over to the English by the French in 1763 following the French and Indian wars. The British abandoned the fort in 1773, leaving it to flooding and erosion by the Mississippi River. Fort de Chartres was acquired by the state in 1913. Parts of it have been reconstructed. The limestone powder magazine remains as part of the third fort structure. French in Illinois; Settling in the Midwest 16 History
|Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|French Colonial District|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.