Written history of Burfield School, Towanda Township (Illinois) by Marj Dickerson 1885-1948
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1865 - 1993
This written history by Marj Dickerson spans the period of time from the organization of Burfield School, located in the southwest corner of Section 18 of Towanda Township (Illinois) in 1865 until the school was closed in 1948. It describes the features of the one-room schoolhouse, its replacement building that was dedicated on October 9, 1927 and related costs. Listed in the story are the names of some of the teachers, members of the board of ...
The History of Burfield School Submitted by Marj Dickerson, 2006 Burfield School District, located in the southwest corner of Section 18 of Towanda Township, was organized in 1865. By this time, Free Schools were financed with money from taxes. A.W. Waldon, Joseph Chorn and Smith Sawyer were the first elected directors. A typical one-room schoolhouse was built with a pump in front and the outhouses in back. It was designated District #7 but the c...
- Contributing Institution
- Towanda Area Historical Society/Towanda District Library
- The images in the Towanda Area Historical Society digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited, without permission. Questions may be directed to the historical society at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Towanda Illinois District Library at (309)728-2176.
- Chicago citation style
- Written history of Burfield School, Towanda Township (Illinois) by Marj Dickerson 1885-1948. 1865 - 1993. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1098. (Accessed December 9, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1865 - 1993) Written history of Burfield School, Towanda Township (Illinois) by Marj Dickerson 1885-1948. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1098
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1098>.