Hazebrouck, France (1917-1918)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide, “Hazebrouck, France,” shows an aerial view of Hazebrouck, a commune in the Nord department in northern France. Hazebrouck was a small market town before it became an important railway junction in the 1860s. During World War I, Hazebrouck was an important military target, as nearly all British supplies had to travel through the railway there. From October 1914 to September 1917, casualty clearing stations were posted at Hazebrouck. The Germans shelled and bombed the town between September 1917 and September 1918, making it unsafe for hospitals, but in September and October 1918, No.9 British Red Cross Hospital was stationed there. The Australian 1st Division was stationed there in mid-April 1918, where they stopped the German advance. This slide is part of Springfield College’s series of lantern slides depicting Australian Y.M.C.A. war work during World War I.
Some foxing; Text on border reads, "Australian Y.M.C.A. Historical Record Section; General View Hazelbrouck Village Belgium.
Part of the Australian Y.M.C.A. WWI Lantern Slide Series
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- World War, 1914-1918
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hazebrouck, France (1917-1918). 1917-1918. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3062. (Accessed July 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1917-1918) Hazebrouck, France (1917-1918). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3062
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3062>.