World War I Poster - L’ennui, Le Vice Et Le Besoin
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A World War I poster for the French-American Union. The top left corner of the poster has the YMCA emblem. The poster reads, “Le Travail Eloigne De Nous Trois Grands Maux: L’Ennui, Le Vice Et Le Besoin; Vous Tous Qui Cherchez du Travail Ou Desirez Des Renseignements Adressez Vous Aux ‘Foyers’ de L’Union Franco Americaine” (trans: Work. Take away from us three great evils: trouble, vice and need. All who seek work or seek information, write to 'HEARTHS' of the French-American Union). The image shows either a soldier or a cobbler mending boots. During World War I, The YMCA hired 26,000 paid men and women, and hosted 35,000 volunteers. The poster was likely commissioned soon after the inception of the Union Franco-Americaine, beesching the moral spirit of French citizens in order to staff the newly built canteens in France. The artist of the poster was Atelier Rouffe.
Water stain in the bottom left corner; Right side has minor damage
- Rouffe, Atelier
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- World War, 1914-1918
International Young Men's Christian Association
Young Men's Christian Association of North America
French American Union
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Rouffe, Atelier. World War I Poster - L’ennui, Le Vice Et Le Besoin. 1918. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2273. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Rouffe, Atelier, (1918) World War I Poster - L’ennui, Le Vice Et Le Besoin. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2273
- MLA citation style
- Rouffe, Atelier. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2273>.