• Creator
  • Curtis, Asahel, 1874-1941
  • Created Date
  • unknown
  • Description
  • On verso of image: The little settlement of Van Asselt had the first school in King county, shown in the pictures. The first school in Seattle opened in "Bachelors hall" by Mrs. D.E. Blaine in 1854. There were fourteen pupils, thirteen girls and one boy. The expense was born by a subscription by the parents. This school continued until the outbreak of the Indian War in 1855. Shortly after the close of the Indian War a "subscription" school was... more
    On verso of image: The little settlement of Van Asselt had the first school in King county, shown in the pictures. The first school in Seattle opened in "Bachelors hall" by Mrs. D.E. Blaine in 1854. There were fourteen pupils, thirteen girls and one boy. The expense was born by a subscription by the parents. This school continued until the outbreak of the Indian War in 1855. Shortly after the close of the Indian War a "subscription" school was reestablished and in 1862 a schoolhouse was opened in one room of the University. The University continued to house the school until 1868, but by 1865 the people wanted a free common school. On January 16, 1869, the first tax was voted, a site purchased at Third Avenue and Marion Street and a schoolhouse two stories high, 48 by 30 feet erected. The first free common school opened in the fall of 1870 with Miss L.W. Ordway as teacher. By 1873 this school became overcrowded and two new schools were built, south school at Main and Sixth and north... less
  • Format
  • Photograph
    image
    Photograph : silver gelatin, b&w
    Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 100 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x512 ppi. 2002