Edward Hitchcock ordination sermon for David Eastman, 1840 February 12
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A sermon by Edward Hitchcock prepared for the ordination of David Eastman, Amherst College class of 1835, at the parish in Leverett. Hitchcock discusses potential causes of division between a minister and his people, noting that there are differing opinions on how best to approach things such as the abolition of slavery, the promotion of temperance, and whether an organization outside the church should handle mission work. Hitchcock explains that if a minister takes a side on these issues, members of his congregation who disagree may be angry and try to have him dismissed, but if he does nothing other people may be angry. He cautions his listeners against this, and lists what a minister's rights are in regard to this topic. According to Hitchcock, a minister has a right to his opinion, his people have a right to know what that opinion is, the minister has a right to address these topics in preaching as long as he does not do so in place of preaching the Gospel, he has a right to advocate for his position, and has a right to bring speakers on these subjects to the pulpit. Hitchcock summarizes that minister and congregation should be united in their goal of the saving of souls, even if their opinions on the subjects mentioned differ.
The sermon is dated "February 1840" but the day of Eastman's ordination is known to be the 12th.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock ordination sermon for David Eastman, 1840 February 12. 1840-02-12. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:513223. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1840-02-12) Edward Hitchcock ordination sermon for David Eastman, 1840 February 12. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:513223
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:513223>.