A walled garden
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
The Bayard Thayer estate in Lancaster was well-known for its beautiful gardens. Shown here is the one-acre, English walled garden, which was started in 1908. Spring flowers were confined to this space. Each year, no less than 75,000 bulbs would be planted, including narcissi, daffodils, lilies, and (as shown here) tulips, truly creating a display that was "gorgeous in the extreme."
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information.
This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- A walled garden. 1908-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/dz010q587. (Accessed October 15, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1908-2000) A walled garden. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/dz010q587
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/dz010q587>.