Trowel used for Alumni Hall's cornerstone ceremony (1926)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a photograph of the trowel used during the laying of the cornerstone of International YMCA College's (now Springfield College) Alumni Hall on September 22, 1926. The trowel is silver with a small wooden handle. It is inscribed "Alumni Hall/Corner stone/Sept. 22nd 1926". The trowel is small, measuring only 4" long and a little under 2" at its widest point (not including handle). It is assumed it was sent to the head librarian at Springfield College on January 6, 1934. Notes within the collection indicate that the trowel may also have been used for the Memorial Field House and for Abbey Hall cornerstone ceremonies. Just one year after the cornerstone was laid, Alumni Hall was completed. The building, though, was not formally dedicated until June 15, 1930 when all the funds for the building were officially received. In October of 1944, Alumni Hall, in conjunction with the Administration building, was used as a U.S. Navy Convalescent Hospital. The majority of the patients were housed in Alumni Hall, with one wing equipped for bed cases and the rest converted into hospital rooms for 2-4 men. Today, with the exception of necessary renovations, Alumni Hall remains largely unchanged. The building continues to serve as an all men's dormitory, and the Carlisle Foyer, donated by Mr. S. Richard Carlisle of Springfield, holds gatherings, presentations and student events for all students to enjoy.
This is photograph of the item
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Alumni Hall
International Young Men's Christian Association College
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Trowel used for Alumni Hall's cornerstone ceremony (1926). 1926-09-22. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9086. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1926-09-22) Trowel used for Alumni Hall's cornerstone ceremony (1926). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9086
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9086>.