Octagon House, Washington, D.C
- View Full Item
Etching of the front entry area of the Octagon House in Washington, D.C.
Andrew Jackson was entertained at this house in Washington, D.C. on November 15, 1815. The house was constructed between 1798 and 1800 for Colonel John Tayloe, a wealthy Virginia plantation owner. The architect of the U.S. Capitol, Dr. William Thornton, designed this structure as well. After the British burned the White House, Tayloe offered his home to President and Mrs. Madision. Madision signed the Treaty of Ghent ending the War of 1812 at the Octagon House.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Chicago citation style
- Octagon House, Washington, D.C. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/96. (Accessed October 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Octagon House, Washington, D.C. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/96
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/96>.