• Created Date
  • 1898
  • Description
  • The "Courthouse" market, pictured here, was built about 1850 on the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets. The cost of a stall inside the building was, at that time, $20 a year and an outside bench cost $7 per year. All manner of goods could be bought including produce, meat, fish and dairy items. By the turn of the century competition with larger grocery stores, refrigeration and faster modes of transport to the stores began to weigh on the fa... more
    The "Courthouse" market, pictured here, was built about 1850 on the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets. The cost of a stall inside the building was, at that time, $20 a year and an outside bench cost $7 per year. All manner of goods could be bought including produce, meat, fish and dairy items. By the turn of the century competition with larger grocery stores, refrigeration and faster modes of transport to the stores began to weigh on the farmers' market. Then in the early 1900s George Middleton proposed to have made for the city a monument dedicated to the soldiers and sailors of the Civil War. In 1907 the old, and last, market place was taken down and the monument was erected on the site. Picture taken circa 1898. less
  • Format
  • negative