Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1846 May 3
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A sermon by Edward Hitchcock discussing war and how it relates to Christianity. Hitchcock claims that the origin of all wars lies in men's evil passions. He explains the costs of war, such as private misery caused by deaths, negative effects on public morals, disrupted education, and national debts. Hitchcock goes on to discuss things he believes can prevent war, such as the prevalence of Christianity, changing false public perceptions, better communication and connectedness between nations, and public opposition to war. However, he notes that he does not believe universal peace between nations will come until Jesus Christ returns and unites all nations in one brotherhood. James 4:1-3 is quoted. Hitchcock has noted on the first page that the sermon was delivered at Amherst College on May 3, 1846 and again in November 1855.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1846 May 3. 1846-05-03. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:512230. (Accessed December 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1846-05-03) Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1846 May 3. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:512230
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:512230>.