Lake View House
View Full Image
Caption: "The Lake View House (Permission Mr. James J. Wilson and Chicago Historical Society)". From text: ""There was also a hotel, called the Lake View House, having been opened on July 4, 1854, occupying a site at the northwest corner of what is now designated Grace Street and Sheridan Road. This had been built by James H. Rees and Elisha E. Huntley, and was, without a doubt, the first hotel erected in close proximity to the Lake, and to demonstrate that the North Shore was the locality, par excellence, as a summer abiding place. This hostelry, undoubtedly sheltered sufferers from the fire. It passed through many vicissitudes, until the year 1890, and then was torn down ..." Photograph is undated but appears to have been taken in the 1880s.
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|Lake View House (Chicago, Ill.)|
|Lake View (Chicago, Ill.)|
Images in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at www.archive.org. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.