Heures de nostre dame translatees en francoys et mises en rihtme /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Illustrated with woodcuts by Gabriel Salmon, the final example at m2, fo.lxvi bears his monogram with the cross of Lorraine and depicts Gringore in the position of Christ surrounded by Italian-styled actors displaying the instruments of the Passion. This controversial woodcut was replaced in the subsequent edition by one of Job. In addition to the 13 full page woodcuts, there are in sig [A] 2 metalcuts (Tree of Jesse signed with the initial L, and the Virgin in a garden), a Virgin and Child on the t.p., the Virgin with apostles; an anatomical man with description on B1r; and Petit's device on the final leaf verso.
French text in red and black lettres bâtardes, 32 lines, with Latin marginal notes.
Colophon: Raison par tout: Iehan Petit.
Privilege dated 10 October 1525; Almanach for years 1524-1538.
Mortimer, R. French 16th century
Ohl des Marais, A. Gabriel Salmon in Byblis 10, 1931
Inside the back cover have been pasted two monogram stamps, an intertwined green CPH (or a permutation) beneath a coronet, and a lavender FM/MF. A cut-out of a clock, hands at 9:28, an early cut-out of a praying figure with gothic text showing through from the verso. An additional contribution in the contemporary hand responsible for the prayers is at the bottom, an unrelated bibliographic clipping at the top.
Tooled brown calfskin, signed "Bound by W. Pratt" at lower margin inside cover. Decorative panel on both boards overstamped with ecclesiastical arms of Mailly family. Arms of Heymenbergh, Northern Holland (Rietstap) inside cover. Label of C(harles) Inglis, M.D. at top left, inked citations to the right. Pencilled notes by George Dunn on flyleaf; verso with bookplate of Et(ienne) Beauvillain; a note on "Gringoire" in a fine hand on first unnumbered leaf, second and third leaves offer contemporary penned prayers in French.
- Gringore, Pierre, approximately 1475-1538?
- Contributing Institution
- Getty Research Institute
- [Paris] : Ce vendent cheuz Jehan Petit a la rue Sainct Jaques
- Catholic Church. Book of hours
Books of Hours--France--16th century
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- French, Latin
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Gringore, Pierre, approximately 1475-1538?. Heures de nostre dame translatees en francoys et mises en rihtme /. . Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102172518. (Accessed October 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Gringore, Pierre, approximately 1475-1538?, () Heures de nostre dame translatees en francoys et mises en rihtme /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102172518
- MLA citation style
- Gringore, Pierre, approximately 1475-1538?. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102172518>.