• Creator
  • Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950
  • Created Date
  • 1908
  • Description
  • Former mining camp on the southeast side of Silverbow Basin, 3 miles east of Juneau. Named about 1885 by miners for the Perseverance claim and mine. A mill and other buildings of the camp were destroyed by a snowslide in 1895. The mining camp remained in existence until 1921, when the mine was closed. (pg. 750) Notes from Donald Orth, Dictionary of Alaska Place Names: Geological Survey Professional Paper 567 (Washington: United States Governme... more
    Former mining camp on the southeast side of Silverbow Basin, 3 miles east of Juneau. Named about 1885 by miners for the Perseverance claim and mine. A mill and other buildings of the camp were destroyed by a snowslide in 1895. The mining camp remained in existence until 1921, when the mine was closed. (pg. 750) Notes from Donald Orth, Dictionary of Alaska Place Names: Geological Survey Professional Paper 567 (Washington: United States Government Printing Office, 1967). less
  • Format
  • Photograph
    image
    Silver gelatin, b&w : 8 x 10 in.
    Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 100 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2002