Letter from Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, April 27, 1863
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Camp Meigs, Readville April 27 1863 To theAdjutant GeneralOf Massachusetts Sir I have the honour to acknowledge receipt of your communication [crossed out word] 25 [Inst.] in regard to Charles M. Johnston, Recruiting Agent for the 54th Regt at Springfield Mass.Lieutenant Bridge, being ordered to report to his regiment for duty, left said Johnston in charge of the Recruiting Office at that place.As there is little prospect of receiving any more men from there, I think it would be advisable to relieve Johnston from duty, and close the office, as you suggest - Very respectfully [?] Servant Robert G. Shaw Col [?] 9 54 Regt Mass Inf. A letter from Colonel Robert Gould Shaw to the Adjutant General of Massachusetts written on April 27, 1863. The letter suggests that the recruiting center for the Massachusetts 54th infantry regiment in Springfield Massachusetts should be closed. Colonel Shaw felt that there would be no more men available for recruitment at this center. Colonel Shaw was the Commander of the Massachusetts 54th Infantry regiment, the first official African American regiments to be formed in the United States. Colonel Shaw was killed at the battle for Fort Wagner, near Charleston South Carolina on July 18, 1963.
Is part of the Civil War Collection, 1861-1865. Massachusetts National Guard Museum & Archives, Worcester, Massachusetts. http://www.mass.gov/guard/museum/index.htm
- Shaw, Robert Gould, 1837-1863
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Massachusetts National Guard Museum & Archives
- Shaw, Robert Gould, 1837-1863--Correspondence
Recruiting and enlistment
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--African Americans
United States, Army. Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, 54th (1863-1865)
- Rights status not evaluated. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Shaw, Robert Gould, 1837-1863. Letter from Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, April 27, 1863. 1863-04-27. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/bk129242c. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Shaw, Robert Gould, 1837-1863, (1863-04-27) Letter from Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, April 27, 1863. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/bk129242c
- MLA citation style
- Shaw, Robert Gould, 1837-1863. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/bk129242c>.