Logging crew, donkey engine, and logging railroad flatbed moving car and tracks, Camp 5, English Lumber Company, ca. 1917
View Full Image
The English Lumber Company began as the Clothier and English Lumber Company, operating at Barney Lake on the Nookachamps and at Samish in 1882. Ed English bought out Harrison Clothier's interest in the company and by 1894, he was operating English and McCaffery Logging Company with Thomas McCaffery and E.C. Million. English had logging operations all over Skagit County and was instrumental in the founding of the city of Mount Vernon. In 1945 English Lumber Company went out of business and sold their land holdings. English Lumber Company's camp 5 was active from 1914 to 1920 and was located just east of Little Mountain on Carpenter Creek.