Ping: Score; performance parts: Example of documentation created for instrumentalists and the team controlling the multimedia equipment during performances
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Film, Audio, Video and Digital Art
Performing Arts (including Performance Art)
A fully descriptive score for Ping was created, but, due to its complexity and length, individual parts were also created for the three instrumentalists, and for the team (usually two persons) controlling the live analog electronic processing during performances. There was no "part" for those performers controlling the slide projection and the visual treatments with prisms and filters, though the score specified the fields of actions appropriate to their role. The Parts show the duration of each of the three sections (A, B, C), and the associated timings of particular processes or events that concern the individuals who are performing the various roles in the total performance. Some of these temporal placements are explicit (Section B starts at 5:30.) while in other cases, a period of time is shown during which a particular event can be initiated at the performer's discretion. Dynamic ranges are supplied in boxed indications (PPP - ff, etc), and harmonic fields are specified in the instrumental parts, showing either which pitch classes can be used in any octave, or alternatively an explicit harmonic structure that must be used in making all performative decisions.
Digital Library Development Program, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/digital-library)
Based on: Beckett, Samuel, 1906-1989. Ping
A combination of a score plus storyboard elements.
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Digital Library Development Program
- Under copyright
Constraint(s) on Use: This work is protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires written permission of the UC Regents. Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Library. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Library program having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934. Ping: Score; performance parts: Example of documentation created for instrumentalists and the team controlling the multimedia equipment during performances. 1968. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb7987945j. (Accessed December 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934, (1968) Ping: Score; performance parts: Example of documentation created for instrumentalists and the team controlling the multimedia equipment during performances. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb7987945j
- MLA citation style
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb7987945j>.