University of Illinois YMCA, Champaign, Illinois
View Full Image
725 S. Wright Street, Champaign. The University of Illinois Y.M.C.A. was organised February 3, 1873. Rooms were provided for the organization in early buildings such as the "Elephant", 1873-1880; Chemistry Building (Harker Hall), 1880-1993; and University Hall 1883-1889. The YMCA acquired its first real home, a twelve-room dwelling at this location in 1899. The building shown in this 1910 postcard was built in 1908 and served the "Y" until 1917. It was leased in 1918 by the University of Illinois for the School of Miliary Aeronautics. In 1924 it was purchased by the Illinois Union. Later acquired by the University it was renamed Illini Hall. It is now used by the Department of Mathematics. Urban Treasure Hunt 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.