Alonzo J. Doolittle in miner's clothing with a bag of gold
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- [between 1850 and 1855]
Born in Vermont, Alonzo J. Doolittle was a surveyor who came to California in the gold rush. He mapped the gold fields of California and is known to have published several western maps in the 1860s. In 1875 he died on board the S.S. Pacific, which sank after departing Victoria, B.C.
Three-quarter length portrait of A.J. Doolittle, standing, wearing miner's shirt, plaid trousers, and broad-brimmed hat. His arm rests on a plinth that holds two "gold pokes"; two small bags, with gold nuggets displayed. The breast pocket of his work shirt appears to contain maps or account books, and he wears a two-piece round belt buckle common among California gold miners.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library
- The Bancroft Library;;, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720-6000, Phone: (510) 642-6481, Fax: (510) 642-7589, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;;, URL: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
- Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley 94720-6000. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html
- Chicago citation style
- Alonzo J. Doolittle in miner's clothing with a bag of gold. [between 1850 and 1855]. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/28722/bk0000x917w. (Accessed January 18, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- ([between 1850 and 1855]) Alonzo J. Doolittle in miner's clothing with a bag of gold. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/28722/bk0000x917w
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/28722/bk0000x917w>.