Paul Moyer Limbert during his inauguration, 1946
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Photograph of former Springfield College President, Paul Moyer Limbert, accepting the symbols of authority, the Springfield College charter and seal, from Julius Appleton prior to giving his inaugural address in 1946. Paul Limbert was Springfield College’s sixth president serving in the position from 1946-1952. Prior to taking over the presidency he served as Professor of Education and Director of Graduate Studies at the school. Under his direction Springfield College saw the improvement and expansion of the school’s physical campus, including the addition of Memorial Field House, Abbey Hall and several playing fields. Limbert is among the most notable YMCA professionals of the 20th century, influencing the YMCA movement at the local, national, and international levels. In 1953 Limbert left Springfield College to pursue a position as the secretary general of the World Alliance of YMCAs, the highest post in the YMCA movement. Limbert authored several books, including "Christian Emphasis in YMCA Programs, " "College Teaching and Christian Values, " "Living a Century, " and "New Perspective for the YMCA." He was recognized with the Legion of Honor award from France, the L.K. Hall Citation from the YMCA Association of Professional Directors (APD), and with honorary doctorates from both Springfield College and American International College. Limbert died in 1998 at the age of 101.
- Grimaldi, Matthew F
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Young Men's Christian Association of North America
International Young Men's Christian Association College
Limbert, Paul M. (Paul Moyer), 1897-
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Grimaldi, Matthew F. Paul Moyer Limbert during his inauguration, 1946. 1946-10-26. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/622. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Grimaldi, Matthew F, (1946-10-26) Paul Moyer Limbert during his inauguration, 1946. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/622
- MLA citation style
- Grimaldi, Matthew F. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/622>.