Olympics Tableaux, Springfield College Gymnastics
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the gymnasts on the Springfield College gymnastics team performing an Olympic tableaux. The gymnast in the middle is holding a replica of the Olympic rings and the gymnast behind him is hold a volleyball above her head. There are two gymnasts on either side of him each holding a javelin. In front of the two gymnasts holding the javelins are one man holding a basketball and another posing as a diver. In front of the gymnast holding the Olympic rings is a gymnast posing as an ice skater, another gymnast posing as a gymnast, and a third gymnast posing as a weight lifter and lifting a large weight. The Tableaux in Gymnastics was originated by Leslie J. Judd, graduate, Class of 1920, and famous gymnastics coach, 1921 to 1956, of Springfield College. Tableaux, essentially, means living picture. It is a scene performed by costumed actors who remain silent and motionless as if in a picture. The Tableaux have been used throughout theatrical history, but was transformed by Judd to use by gymnasts during performances. The Tableaux as performed by Gymnasts at Springfield College, cover their bodies in a silver formula make-up. Each tableaux expresses an ideal or commemorates a moment. The tableaux is still performed by SC Gymnasts.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Gymnastics--Exhibition team
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Olympics Tableaux, Springfield College Gymnastics. 1960-2005. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7591. (Accessed July 22, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1960-2005) Olympics Tableaux, Springfield College Gymnastics. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7591
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7591>.