Civil War Soldiers' Monument
View Full Image
Standing 40' tall, costing $16,000, the monument was dedicated on July 4, 1907. A full-scale bronze soldier carrying the Union flag stands on top of a large granite shaft ornamented with Greek-influenced designs and stars; that shaft is square and crossed with flags ornament two sides. In a circle going around the main shaft are four lower pedestals ornamented with carved laurel wreaths. On the top of these pedestals is a full-scale bronze soldier representing a different branch of the military (navy, infantry, calvary, and artillery). Each figure is in different clothing and is depicted in a different stance. In between the four figures are four bronze tables inscribed with the names of all residents who served. The structure sits in a municipal park in front of Webster (later Bartlett) High School. The school building has a very large clock tower that was later moved to the Town Hall. Part of the local history collection of the Chester C. Corbin Public Library, Webster, Massachusetts
|Chester C. Corbin Public Library|
Rights status not evaluated. Contact host institution for more information.