Springer Recreational Center (Post Office, Champaign, Illinois)
View Full Image
301 N. Randolph Street, Champaign. James Taylor Knox, U.S. Treasury Surveying Architect, was the architect of record for the 1903 Beaux-Arts-style post office. When a new Champaign post office opened at 600 N. Neil Street in December, 1966, this building was converted to house federal agencies. In 1980, it was renamed to honor retired congressman William L. Springer of Champaign. The Champaign Park District acquired the building in 1991 for use as the Springer Recreational Center. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Urban Treasure Hunt 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|Champaign County, Illinois|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.