John C. Symons portrait
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This portrait photograph of John C. Symons. The picture was taken in Springfield, Massachusetts. Rev. John Christian Symons was a close friend and associate of Sir George Williams, founder of the YMCA, and was instrumental in the founding and continuance of the YMCA in England and, most particularly, Australia (of which he emigrated to in 1856). Symons was one of the first Secretaries of the YMCA along with William Creese. Symons died in Australia in February 1894. He is described as having "led the most uniformly distinguished (and strenuous) life as Australia's most formidable Wesleyan Minister" (George Williams and the YMCA by in Clyde Binfield and The Life of Sir George Williams by J. E. Hodder Williams).
A stamped caption on the back reads "Largest and finest studio in New England Goldsmisth 374 St. Springfield, Mass.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association
Symons, John C
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Goldsmith. John C. Symons portrait. 1870-1894. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9273. (Accessed July 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Goldsmith, (1870-1894) John C. Symons portrait. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9273
- MLA citation style
- Goldsmith. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9273>.