- View Full Item
- Created Date
Students' Home, formerly located on Prescott Street where the Chan Shun Dining Commons stands today, was built in 1884 to provide much needed housing for students attending South Lancaster Academy. Life was not easy in the early days. On cold mornings, a student's first task would be to coax a fire to start in the little black stove furnished in every bedroom. Also, those living on the second floor had the advantage over those above with the luxury of running water in their bathroom tank. The pumping system lacked sufficient force to reach the third floor. Later, a west wing was added to the rambling building, and it became known as East-West Hall. In its last years, the building was used only as a girls' dormitory and was torn down c. 1965-1967, when South Lancaster Academy (which used the AUC campus) ceased to be a boarding school.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Atlantic Union College
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Students' home. 1884-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/dz010q78q. (Accessed December 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1884-2000) Students' home. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/dz010q78q
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/dz010q78q>.