Fairplay Fire Company #1
View Full Item
The Fairplay Fire Company #1 was founded in 1841. Four years later Joseph Todd and M. A. Gavitt were appointed to write the company's constitution and apply for a charter from the state. In 1846 the city council recognized the Ones, as they were called, as a regular fire company. Fairplay Engine Company #1 is the oldest volunteer fire department in the state. The site the building now sits upon had previously been used as a barn for Madison mule cars and in 1887 there was a livery stable on the site. The bell now hanging in the firehouse is the second bell. When the first bell cracked it was melted down and, along with silver dollars donated by townspeople, it was recast to form the new bell in 1850. "Little Jimmy," named for Jim McIntire, is the weathervane atop the bell tower. He was made by Peter Hoffman. In 1945 strong winds brought Jimmy to the ground and he languished about the firehouse and, at one time, Eggleston School, but in 1955 he returned to once more "point the way" from his lofty perch. Storm damage in 1991 and again in 1996 made it necessary to retire Jimmy. Little Jimmy II was fashioned by Don Felix, master coppersmith of Seabrook, New Hampshire and in 1997 he was once more placed atop the firehouse, presumably for another 108 years..
|Harry Lemen, photographer|
- Chicago citation style
- Harry Lemen, photographer. Fairplay Fire Company #1. 1929-04-28. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/40. (Accessed June 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Harry Lemen, photographer, (1929-04-28) Fairplay Fire Company #1. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/40
- MLA citation style
- Harry Lemen, photographer. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/40>.