Mountain Day (1909)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide shows a group of students from the International YMCA College, now known as Springfield College, about to depart for Mountain Day. On October 11, 1909, the faculty canceled classes, and the students drove to Moody Corner, a village in Massachusetts. From here, they walk to Lithia Springs and had a picnic prepared by Mother Rey. After dinner, the party separated; one group climbed the Holyoke range and proceeding along the crest as far as the Notch, while the other climbed Norwottuck and the Little Knob. According to the 1909 Association, “It was a tired but happy crowd which boarded homeward bound cars at the end of the day’s tramping and climbing.” The football players were the only students who missed the outing, but they did enjoy dinner with Dr. McCurdy. The November 1909 Association is the only one to mention Mountain Day.
Glass is cracked; Text on border reads, "Starting for Mountain Day.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Mountain Day (1909). 1909. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3756. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1909) Mountain Day (1909). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3756
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3756>.