Group of people standing outside the Pratt Field entrance during the opening ceremony (1910)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows the entrance to International YMCA Training School's (now Springfield College) Pratt Field during the opening ceremony, which took place on November 12, 1910. The entrance way consists of a gate, large white pillars and a sidewalk leading up to it. There are many people outside of the gate at the ceremony including the Springfield College president, Laurence L. Doggett and Herbert L. Pratt. Pratt Field was a gift of Mr. Herbert L. Pratt. It consisted, originally, of a quarter-mile track, 220 yard straightaway twenty-four feet wide, eleven runaways and pits for jumping and vaulting, seven tennis courts, a football field, and a baseball diamond. An eight-foot high reinforced concrete fence surrounds the field. The entrances were designed by Edward Lippincourt Tilton, who also designed Springfield's Judd Gymnasium and the Marsh Memorial Building. Part of Pratt field is still used today for track and field, however the name was changed to Blake Field.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College--Athletic fields
International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Pratt, Herbert L
Doggett, L. L. (Laurence Locke), 1864-1957
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Group of people standing outside the Pratt Field entrance during the opening ceremony (1910). 1910-11-12. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/10414. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1910-11-12) Group of people standing outside the Pratt Field entrance during the opening ceremony (1910). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/10414
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/10414>.