South Lancaster mill site
- View Full Item
- Created Date
On this site (near present-day Mill Street) on the south branch of the Nashua River, Sawyer and Wilder, c. 1805, first built a dam, a sawmill, and a gristmill. Later, Samuel Carter operated a fulling mill for the processing of wool for clothing nearby. Through the years, ownerships and functions changed several times. Pictured here is the Sawyer-Carter Grist Mill as it appeared c. 1900. On the site for 50 years, the building burned in a spectacular blaze on the night of June 21, 1906.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date from item or accompanying materials.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- South Lancaster mill site. 1900. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k12d. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1900) South Lancaster mill site. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k12d
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k12d>.