Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1839 April
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Sermon notes by Edward Hitchcock for a sermon delivered at Amherst College in April 1839, discussing 1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God." Hitchcock claims that this verse explains several moral phenomena in a way similar to scientific discoveries explaining many natural phenomena at once. He says a "natural" man is one who is unconverted, and lists ten characteristics or attitudes of unconverted men that he believes are explained by the quoted verse. This includes, for example, why unconverted people see no distinction between morality and holiness and why devoted Christians seem fanatical to the unconverted. He then uses these points to make a few remarks on the importance of conversion and the unfortunate state of the unconverted.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Sermons--Outlines, syllabi, etc
- SermonsOutlines (documents)NotesManuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1839 April. 1839-04. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:502724. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1839-04) Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1839 April. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:502724
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:502724>.