- View Full Item
- Created Date
In 1917, when Camp (Fort) Devens was established, the U.S. government acquired land from residents of Ayer, Harvard, Shirley, and Lancaster. In 1932, when Fort Devens became permanent, the U.S. Army continued to expand the facility. Many fine old homes and choice acres of farm land were lost to Lancaster in 1938. The 4,830 acres became known as the South Post. Although most of Devens was decommissioned in 1996, the South Post remains as a training area for U.S. Army reservists. This view was published by the Post Exchange.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Devens Historical Museum
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Fort Devens. 1917-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k81t. (Accessed December 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1917-2000) Fort Devens. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k81t
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k81t>.